Looking for the perfectly decadent treat to share with guests or give as a gift this holiday season? Peppermint fudge is the perfect solution. Not only does it satisfy your sweet tooth, but it has a plethora of health benefits due to the peppermint. Peppermint is found to relieve stomach problems, tension headaches and nausea.
When you bite into this fudge, health is the last thing on your mind.
The recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart’s Foolproof Holiday Fudge. Depending on the desired intensity of peppermint flavor, the amounts can be adjusted accordingly.
~ non-stick cooking spray
~ 2 cups sugar
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
~ 1 cup milk
~ 2 cups marshmallows
~ 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
~ 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
~ 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
~ 1/2 cup crushed peppermint
1. Grease 9-by-13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook sugar, salt, butter, milk and marshmallows over medium heat. Stir until butter and marshmallows are almost melted, about 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Boil mixture and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add chocolate chips, vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is a smooth, even consistency.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle fudge with crushed peppermint.
5. Let fudge cool in the pan at room temperature for approximately 3 hours. When cooled, remove bars from pan and cut into bars.
The fudge bars are ready to serve or gift. You’ll be sure to get many compliments for these tasty treats!
If fudge doesn’t seem settled after 3 hours, try putting it in the fridge to help it solidify.
Are you a white chocolate lover? If so, the same fudge can be made using white chocolate chips instead of semisweet chocolate chips.